Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thursday!

Hey everyone!

So, my two days of teacher initiation are done. :) After many long days of sitting and staring (or maybe just two) I have a lot of information, a new laptop (relatively speaking), and a lot of forms to fill out.

Yesterday, we took a tour of the school district. Our tour guide was the twice former drama director, and he is amazing. I've been trying to think of someone to compare him to, and the only one I could think of is a more sane Dr. Ault. He had the clothes down, the voice, and the awesome-ness. It was great. We also got to go on to the air base, because there are two schools on the air base. I thought that was so cool.

So, I just took a quick break to run to the library to pick up some stage tech books, and a boy was sitting on the bench outside. As I walked by, he was like, "Hey, sweetheart, what's IUP stand for?" So I told him (I was wearing my IUP hoodie) "Indiana University of Pennsylvania" and tried to keep on walking. He asked a few other things, and I just kind of muffled responses, and he was like "We're gonna have to chat about that for when you come back!" So I tried to stall in the library, because I didn't really want to talk to a random person in downtown Dover. Of course, there was nowhere for me to sit and stall (the library is always PACKED. And it has its own security guard inside. He's old and decrepit, but he's there.) So, I leave, planning to just keep walking with a quick wave or something at the boy. And we end up talking for like 10 minutes. Turns out he lives in the apartments behind me--I guess--and he managed to fit in there that he has no girlfriend, and no baby-mama drama, and he runs his own freelance business. He asked for my number, which I declined (very politely, I might add). He told me I was very pretty and that he liked my shoes. I told him I would be working 60+ hour weeks (which sounds not-out-of-the-realm-of-possibility, for what I am going to be working on), and I was gonna need to sleep some time. He was nice enough, though, and I told him maybe I would see him again at the library--not as like a promise, but more like a polite thing, I think; it's what I tried to come off as.

So, anyway: now I am slightly worried that he was just pumping me for info about my apartment--he asked if I had pets, or dogs--and then I feel really bad because he's probably just a lonely soul like me, and I need to stop worrying that everyone I meet on the street is going to try to hurt me in some way, shape, or form.

So, back to the school part of this post: generally, I feel OK right now. I'm going to be making a syllabus tomorrow whilst I EAGERLY await the arrival of one RACHEL JAKAB, and then after that I will be making my vocab powerpoints, which we are going to do as dailies in the classroom. It's going to be an exciting day. Then, the weekend will be spent not worrying at all about my job, and hanging with RAHEL JAKAB. Exciting!

Love, Bethie

No comments:

Post a Comment