Monday, October 11, 2010

Meet Sadie.





Hi everyone! I'm Sadie, and I'm a sweetheart!

I got my dog today, kids! She is adorable and loving and SO well behaved. I'm thrilled! I had a little trepidation this weekend, worrying about time commitments and just general "is this the right decision?" stuff, but I am soooooo soo sooo happy that I got her.

I got up early this morning (we had school off) and went to sign the landlord paperwork. I was at the SPCA at 9:30, only to realize that they didn't open for another hour (I thought for sure it was 10:00!). I was starving, so I went off in search of a Subway. Instead, I found a Wal-Mart. I had been planning to get toys and beds at Petsmart later that day, when Sadie was with me, but I figured a check at teh Wal-Marts wouldn't hurt things. I found a bed for $10, and a squeaky toy for 98 cents. Wohoo!

I was back at the SPCA at 10:18, and was the first one in the door when they opened--thank God. My application took about 45 minutes to process, and there was a line about 10 long behind me. However, they brought me Sadie, newly microchipped, and we were off! So was so excited that she literally vibrated out of my arms onto the floor. I had bought a collar and a leash yesterday, and I was trying to get them on her, and she just would not hold still! Once we got outside, she was all over the place, sniffing and prancing. I let her go for a few minutes, in case she needed to go to the bathroom, and then we headed for the car.

Oh, the car! If I thought she was hyper before, she was insane now! She hopped right in and immediately went to the passenger side seat, turned a few times, and sat right down. That lasted for all of two seconds, because then she was up and looking out the windows, climbing all over me, and panting up a storm. As we were going, she starting doing this whining/yipping thing, kind of like how a guinea pig sounds when it is excited, and she could barely sit down. It was adorable! Unfortunatly, she weighs about 10 pounds, so when I hit the brakes at one point, she went flying into the dashboard, only to pop right back up and yip some more.

Then we were off to petsmart. I was there yesterday looking for some food and bowls, and one of the ladies that was there yesterday helped me today. She got me a harness and two crates (one for travel, one for home!) and a bed and some toys. She actually pushed the cart while I had Sadie on the leash. When we first got in to the store, Sadie was going all over the place so I put her into the cart. She seemed to like being pushed around. That lasted for about five minutes, and then she took a swan dive to the floor and scared the heck out of me. (She was fine).

We got home around 1:30 or so, and she is just getting cuter by the second. Right now she is sleeping on her bed, but if I get up I can guarantee you she will be awake and following me around. I set up her crate and then we played fetch--yes, she fetches very well!--and then we went for a walk. When we got back I was tired, so I laid down for a break. I threw her red squeaky for her a few times, and then she popped right up on the couch and sat on my face, which was apparently her way of telling me I was an OK owner. I eventually got her off me, and then we just kind of dozed--well, I dozed. I have the top half of my door open, and she heard men outside. She was up and at the door in about two seconds, and then she rushed over to the window--jumping right on my boob in the process, thankyouverymuch--and just gave one little growl. I told her to calm down, and rolled over on to my stomach (for protection).

So she took a nap on my butt. :-)

I have more pictures below! We're going for a walk after dinner, and then I am going to introduce her to her crate. I need to go get milk, so it will be a good amount of time (not too long, not too short) for her to wait for me. Should be a fun night! I'll have to come back and grade or something; I didn't do any school work all day!

I am so very very happy right now!

2 comments:

  1. Too cute! A lot of dogs are super nervous their first day, she will calm down in a few days once she figures out she is there to stay. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! I am so happy for you and jealous too. I want a puppy in the worst way, but I still live with my parents and they don't want anything to do with dogs. So I got myself a bunny instead. lol

    ReplyDelete